I have written and signed hundreds of IEPs. I never dreamed that I would be signing the "parent" line. And, as painful as it it to know that my sweet Jackson just doesn't process things correctly and struggles with school, it's good to know that the first official step at school was taken to help correct these proplems and to help him be successful. But I have to tell you, it's hard to hear a teacher describe your child as looking so confused and defeated when learning the basic info, and as feeling so worried that he might get the wrong answer that he won't volunteer to answer anymore. It just breaks my heart.
Anyway, enough of the emotional stuff. . .
His Intial Evaluation papers are signed and they can now start their part of the testing process (vision, hearing, motor and more educational). They very quickly said that he might be able to get OT services at school, which would be great. And, all present were in agreement that Jackson needs extra help.
Now, we wait on his Neuropsych report to come back and for the school to get their testing done. Then we can see where we go from there. I know that we are looking at a future of medication for him, which doesn't thrill me. But, if it means that he can get caught up, feel better about himself, worry less (the child is going to have an ulcer by 2nd grade!), and do better in school, I think it's worth it.
I'm just so grateful that he is such an amazingly neat and cool kid. I have seen too many kids who were just brats coupled with learning issues. I know that at least no one can say negative things about his behavior, manners or personality. We are all just worried about his success in school and his anxiety levels that just get so high.
So, IEP meeting #1 is done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment